Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thinking...

The last few days I decided I would pick up a new book, one that I could read for pleasure and also for growth.  As most of you know, I am not a reader. I have a very small attention span, and reading seems to be a great cure for insomnia. This, along with the fact that I am married to a habitual reader, has led me to strive to grow my reading repertoire. The past year or so I have really pushed to read books for pleasure. I read through the Hunger Games trilogy, "I Am Number Four" and "The Power of Six" for example. These books don't challenge me, but provide me some entertainment and relaxation. Now I feel like it is time for a change of pace, a book that will challenge me career-wise and personally.

I have bought numerous books in the past few years, and most have them have sat on my bookcase since. Last week I picked up a John Maxwell book titled "How Successful People Think." In the blog posts that follow, I will try to reply to my thoughts on the book, how I am implementing what I learn into my life, etc.

But before jumping in, this book quickly reminds me of how much thinking one can do to grow. I enjoy learning, and enjoy challenging myself. This book is going to encourage me to think and brainstorm with my career. A couple quotes to leave that jumped out at me from the Introduction:

"Good ideas rarely go out and find someone. If you want to find a good idea, you must search for it."

"People I seek out and choose to spend time with all challenge me with their thinking and their actions. They are constantly trying to grow and learn."

"Any idea that remains only an idea doesn't make a great impact. The real power of an idea comes when it goes from abstraction to application."

No comments:

Post a Comment