Thursday, April 12, 2012

Appreciate today...

I know, it sounds like a dorky, inspirational saying you would see on a greeting card with a soaring eagle or a sun set behind a mountaintop. Rather this was a thought that came out of a discussion I had with one of my choirs today. The past week or so, I have had a weird feeling with one of my groups, and have not been able to put my finger on it. We seemed lethargic, and were greatly lacking in drive and focus. After another failed attempt to give directions while talking over a mass majority of the group, I felt like it was time to have one of those "come-to-Jesus" moments.

So we stopped and I vented for a few minutes. I explained to the students what I was observing, and how I felt some people were checked out and struggling to finish the year. I told them I could continue to rack my brain to find a solution, or simply let them finish as strong as they wanted. After much discussion of how we could prevent these phenomena of checking out, I had a few students explain why they AREN'T checked out. One response surprised me, and it came from a senior. He isn't checking out because now he realizes that he only has 16 days to make music with this group. After that final concert, the group for all intents & purposes will NEVER exist again.

I think this was the response that the entire group needed to learn, as well as myself. We take so much of what we do for granted that we forget to appreciate it.  I only get to work with my students for some 20+ days and I will NEVER work with any of them again! Heck, I may not even get to do what I'm doing again next year, depending on whether I find a job. Thanks to Alex, I have a better perspective on what I should focus on in the next few weeks...and I better make it a point to let those who are important in my life right now know it!

1 comment: