Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ordinary Extraordinaire

There are those people in your life who just seem to never slow down. They are passionate about everything they involve themselves with and just watching them can be tiring. I know this blog is long over due, but today I was reminded that I haven't done a great job of recognizing these people who I have the pleasure of being surrounded by.

As most of you know, I am married to one of those people. Danielle is a natural go getter. I only think she was built with two speeds...fast and faster. Frankly, it is sickening at the amount she does and what she can fit into a 24 hour day. Now this is coming from somebody who prefers to workout at the gym so he can watch Netflix. So as Danielle and I prepare for the next stage of our lives by moving to Omaha, I wanted to reflect on what imprint Danielle has left on me the past few years, and I'm sure on many more in her path. Since I am NOT a writing expert, I will just list the things I know Danielle has accomplished. Since moving to Ogallala, Danielle has...

1) graduated from UNK with her Bachelor's degree
2) become SUPER involved with the NeWP, to the point where she has already been serving on the advisory board.
3) successfully organized a writing festival through NeWP, with two sites (Elkhorn & Kearney)
4) presented at NUMEROUS state and national conferences through the NeWP and NETA
5) completed here coursework and wrote her thesis for her Masters degree, which she will acquire this summer.
6) wrote a curriculum at OHS that focuses on Social Action, and has grown a WONDERFUL unit where the students of OHS go out and MAKE A DIFFERENCE in their community.
7) been selected to receive an award through the NeWP, where she will be recognized at state wide and national based conferences. Being the bad husband I am, I don't even know what the award is called.
8) fulfilled her life-long dream of being in a bluegrass band, the Skunkrunners. Okay, I'm not sure if this is a dream but Danielle has grown to LOVE bluegrass!
9) ran 3 successful half marathons and will be running the FULL marathon in Lincoln on May 5th.
10) been an assistant cross country coach for two years
11) was published in the book "What Teaching Means"
10) continually put her husband before her by supporting all of his concerts and out of school activities.

I think that forcing myself to sit down and really reflect on what has happened the past 4 years has exponentially increased my understanding of what Danielle has been doing.  What I love MOST about my wife is that through EVERYTHING she does, she wants to put all of her focus on here relationship with Christ. She is such an inspirational woman that I have been blessed to be married to. I know that I am often times forgetful and selfish, and this is just a small token to show how much I truly realize Danielle does.

Looking back on the past four years, it is amazing to see what Danielle has accomplished and been involved in. That being said, Omaha better watch out! I praise God for Danielle's energy in the classroom, in our marriage, and in our friendships with others.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree that Danielle is pretty flippin' awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's the best teacher I've ever had, and I'm not saying that to be a brown-noser. It's true.

    ReplyDelete