Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Making a Difference

As I sit here and wind down before going to bed, it suddenly dawns on me that I have 21 more days as the director of choirs at Ogallala Public Schools. For the seniors, we only have 11 days left before we part ways. The past few weeks I have really been reflecting on our time that we have spent in Ogallala. It seems like a short 4 years ago we were packing up our few items in Kearney and moving out West, ready to take on "rural" Nebraska. Now I lay here, watching the days quickly pass before our time here dwindles.

As most of you know, I take a lot of pride and put a lot of stock into my job. I really don't know why that is. I would be the first to admit that musically, I am nothing but average. Educationally, I am not outstanding and creative in what I do. I'm not saying I am a lousy teacher, but my classroom is not that unique and earth shattering. Regardless, I take pride in what I do and want to make a difference in my job. I'm not at all like my wife in the fact that she attacks "big" issues, like social action and the entire SAT program. It seems like my one and only focus is my students.

I am concerned with whether I have taught them what is TRULY important. Yes, it is important for them to be able to sing properly, to understanding correct vowel modification, how to adjust the tuning of a difficult interval, what a picardy third is, etc. Have they left my room understanding the importance of integrity. Do they understand that popularity isn't important. Have I taught them that your actions are a clear indication of who you truly are. I lay here in bed running questions upon questions that I am afraid I haven't clearly educated my students on. I lay here in frustration at the number of times I have blatantly acted the opposite of how I expect my students to act.

So what do I do? I embrace the next 21 days. I let my students see that I love them and care for them by NOT letting up. I push through until the zero hour, when we all part ways for summer break, only then REALLY understanding that next year is not the same. I spend the next 21 days absorbing everything that my students are teaching me. I am so thankful and praise God for the opportunities I have had here in Ogallala to grow as a teacher, husband, Christian, and friend. I pray that God will always keep Ogallala and my students near to my heart, and help to to always keep in practice all I have learned while here. Lastly, I pray that God will do the same for my students. It has been a great 4 years, and I will be the same for the next 21 days with my students...focused on imparting as much knowledge as possible into them until the next time, although there will be no next time! Thank you to my students for the wonderful 4 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment