Sunday, March 17, 2013

Meeting disappointment head on

As I prepare to go to bed, it hits me that tomorrow will be the first time the students of Ogallala High School will be together since the tragic loss of Emma. Although she graduated two years ago, many students know her through her brother. For those of you who have been involved in the fine arts, you know that there is a strong community feel, and Emma was part of my choral family back in Ogallala. Many members of the choirs sang next to Emma, many shared the stage with her in productions of "Once On This Island" and "Seussical."

Earlier today I had the opportunity to chat with the choir director at Ogallala, and I don't envy him at all. "What do I do? How should I approach the situation" were just a few of the questions he had for me. I don't feel like I had a good answer for him.  The best answer I could come up with is an answer that some educators may not agree with, but I told him "Ask the kids. They will be honest." I think as educators it is important for us to show this vulnerability. To admit that we don't have the answers. To show raw emotion. Regardless of how Mr. Work handles tomorrow...it will be hard!

As I begin my spring break tomorrow, my heart will be heavy thinking about my "family" in Ogallala. My prayer is that God will shower them with understanding and wisdom. Although it is hard to think of, we must celebrate what Emma has taught us....as that is what she would want. Reading about Emma the past few days, a recurring topic comes up...and that is her smile. My prayer is that we can reflect back on Emma with a smile. I also pray for Emma's family as they prepare for her funeral, and continue to reflect on the past few days. I ask that those of you who are of the praying type...join me! Lift up prayers of praise and prayers of understanding. Ultimately, Emma will want us to turn to God and praise him and glorify Him through this experience as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment